Welcome to my personal homepage! I am an Associate Professor of Strategic Management at Singapore Management University, Lee Kong Chian School of Business. In my research and teaching, I focus on the structure and dynamics of interorganizational networks. My papers seek to understand how these networks form and evolve, and how they affect firms’ outcomes. I investigate these topics in a variety of empirical settings, including the computer industry, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals.
My research spans the methodological boundary between social science and complex systems. In my papers, I often combine the methods of social network analysis with statistical analyses of data on firms and industries as well as with agent-based computer simulation models. My featured work has appeared or is forthcoming in Organization Science, Academy of Management Journal, and Administrative Science Quarterly.
I hold a Ph.D. in Management from the University of St. Gallen and have been a visiting scholar at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University. I previously worked as an assistant professor and later an associate professor at Tilburg University in the Netherlands. I am a member of the Academy of Management, a Fellow of the Tilburg CentER for Economic Research, and a graduate of the Complex Systems Summer School at Santa Fe Institute. I currently serve on the Editorial Review Board of the Academy of Management Journal.
- “Environmental Demands and the Emergence of Social Structure: Technological Dynamism and Interorganizational Network Forms”. Administrative Science Quarterly, 61 (2016): 52–86. With M. Sytch and R. Gulati.Read More
- “Friends and Foes: The Dynamics of Dual Social Structures”. Academy of Management Journal, 57 (2014): 585–613. With M. Sytch.Read More
- “Exploring the Locus of Invention: The Dynamics of Network Communities and Firms’ Invention Productivity”. Academy of Management Journal, 57 (2014): 249-279. With M. Sytch.Read More
- “Toward a Theory of Extended Contact: The Incentives and Opportunities for Bridging Across Network Communities”. Organization Science, 23 (2012): 1658-1681. With M. Sytch and R. Gulati.Read More
- “The Rise and Fall of Small Worlds: Exploring the Dynamics of Social Structure”. Organization Science, 23 (2012): 449-471. With R. Gulati and M. Sytch.Read More